Facts & statistics about breast cancer in India
Ranked no.1 cancer among Indian females with age adjusted rate as high as 25.8 per 100,000 women & mortality 12.7 women per 100,000 women.
Mortality to incidence ratio was found to be as high as 66 in rural registries whereas as low as 8 in urban registries.
Breast cancer projection for India during time periods 2020 suggests the number to go as high as 17,50,000.
Worrisome facts about trend of breast cancer in India ?
- Increased number of breast cancer in younger age group.
- Rising number of cases of breast cancer in India.
- Late presentation. This decreases the survival rate drastically.
- Lack of awareness and screening.
- Aggressive cancer in young.
When cells inside the breast divide and grow without control that condition is Breast Cancer. 50-75% of breast cancers begin in milk duct, about 10-15% begin in lobules and a few on other breast tissues.
Warning signs are not same in all the women. The most common signs are –
- A change in the look or feel of the breast.
- A change in the look or feel of the nipple.
- Nipple discharge.
- Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area.
- Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast.
- Change in the size or shape of the breast.
- Dimpling or puckering of the skin.
- Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple.
- Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast.
- Nipple discharges that starts suddenly.
- New pain in one spot that does not go away.
Lobular Carcinoma in situ (LCIS) Lobules are small sacks that produces milk, when there is abnormal cell growth inside lobules but have not spread to nearby tissues that condition is called as LCIS. LCIS is not breast cancer but it increases the chances of breast cancer.
Benign breast conditions, also knows as benign breast diseases are non cancerous disorders of the breast. They can occur both in men and women. Some are painful and requires treatment, other usually not. Some of the benign breast diseases increases the chances of breast cancer and this ultrasound or biopsy should be done.
Breast cancer in men are rare but it does happen. In US less a % of all cancers is of men breast cancer. Breast cancer risk is much lower in men than in women. Survival rates in male breast cancer is same that of female breast cancer. However, men are diagnosed late as compared to women for breast cancer. Warning signs are also same as those presented in women.
Most common benign breast condition in male is gynecomastia. Gynecomastia results from hormone imbalance in the body. Gynecomastia doesn’t need to be treated until unless a patient feels pain.
Risk factors –
- Older age
- BRCA2 gene mutation
- Family history of gene mutation.
- Klinefelter’s syndrome.
- Overweight and obesity.
- Exposure to radiation early in life.
- Lack of exercise.
WHATSAPP / IMO REPORTS at +91 85829 30884, +91 91741 52285
For breast cancer treatment in India
our panel hospitals
our panel doctors
Our Panel Hospitals
All our panel hospitals are JCI or NABH accredited hospitals specializes in treatment of cancer. We have tie up with more than 100 best hospitals in 8 metro cities of India.
All of our panel hospitals uses latest technology for the treatment of cancer. We have team of super specialist cancer surgeons who perform highly advanced minimally invasive and open surgical procedures.
All our panel of consultants are board certified and trained to handle any kind of complex benign and malignant tumors. We also provides advice and support for the challenges that a patient may face on their cancer journey.
Fill your details & send reports. We will get back to you with treatment options & price quotations from leading hospitals.
Please upload patients latest reports.